Many people on our unit were talking about this visually fantastic movie known as 'Life of Pi'. Out of curiosity of my fellow co-workers, many of them had watched it and their feedback are all filled with positive reviews.
Life of Pi is a novel written by Yann Martel. It is a story of a boy named 'Piscine Molitor Patel' who experienced a tragic shipwreck in the vast ocean of the Pacific. He survived and lived on a lifeboat for almost a year fighting for his life together with a Bengal tiger.
I read the book a couple of months ago and it is not really an easy read for everyone. The novel was written in a creative and intellectual manner. There are some exhausting parts especially in the chapters covering the survival part on a lifeboat. But the long read is worth it until you will be surprised on its finale.
The way I interpreted the book is the same on how director Ang Lee filmed it. Life of Pi has an imaginative story and watching this movie adaptation in 3D is visually rewarding. Suraj Sharma (Piscine Patel) did a great job in portraying the protagonist role. Even it is his first time to be part of a big movie, he was still able to connect his emotions to the audience in terms of showing despair and weakness.
The production design was amazing plus the visual effects are surreal. 20% of the movie is all about the Life of Piscine Patel before the shipwreck while the other 80% belongs to his survival after the shipwreck of Tsimtsum(name of the ship).
If you're going to think superficially, the situation of the story is quite similar to Danny Boyle's movie 127 Hours. It is a story of a man whose arm was stuck in a boulder in the middle of his trail at the grand canyon for 127 hours. The reaction of most viewers thought it was a boring movie. His arm was stuck, then he needs to survive. He freed himself and the end!
Likewise in the Life of Pi, a shipwreck happened, he survived in a lifeboat with a group of wild animals, and he lived!
But if you're going to think viscerally, Life of Pi is not about satisfying your visual fangs. It's about a story of endurance and surrender. In our present life, if we face a number of problems, we tend to do everything we got just to solved each problems. But at the end of the day we became exhausted and stressed. We can't even think of ourselves as weak because of our ego and we tend to do more. But still we fail.
That's the time we acknowledge ourselves as weak and it's time for us to surrender everything to God. For He will lift our burdens up and He will make a way for us. Like on what Pi said to God in the book, I'm surrendering everything to you... God is able to do all things and nothing is impossible if we believe in Him.
Similar to a gospel in the bible, where the twelve disciples are in a boat and Jesus Christ was sleeping. A furious storm suddenly came making the boat sink. Out of fear the disciples woke Jesus up, but Jesus said to them... "You of little faith! Why are you so afraid?" Then Jesus got up, rebuked the wind and the waves, and it was completely calm.
In our present life, if we face the same situation on our workplace, inside our home, or with our friends... Do you solve your problems on your own way? or You remained still and calm for you know God is in control of everything?